New York mobile sports betting is legal as of January 8, 2022. Anyone 21 and up – and within state lines – can participate in legal online sports betting in NY. New Yorkers made more than 17 million transactions alone during their first full weekend of legal online sports betting, and we have sorted the top sports bonus offers for you below:
Gambling App Promo Code Promo Offer
Caesars NY Sportsbook Promo Code: SHARPBETFULL First bet up to $1,250
FanDuel NY Sportsbook Promo Code: Claim Now No sweat first bet up to $1,000 back
BetMGM NY Sportsbook Bonus Code SHARP Risk-free bet up to $1,000
PointsBet NY Sportsbook Promo Code: BESTOFFER 2 risk-free bets up to $2,000 total
BetRivers NY Sportsbook Promo Code: SHARP250 100% bonus up to $250 on deposit
DraftKings NY Sportsbook Promo Code: Claim Now $50 Free Bet and 20% bonus up to $1,000 on deposit
The NYS Gaming Commission approved nine sports betting apps to launch, but only six started taking real-money bets in the first month. New online sportsbooks in NY coming soon include:
- WynnBET NY
- Resorts Sportsbook NY
New York also offers in-person gambling at retail sportsbooks in casinos throughout Upstate New York. Here are the locations and their online gambling counterparts:
In-Person Gambling NY Online Gambling Retail Location
del Lago Resort DraftKings NY Waterloo, NY
Turning Stone Casino Caesars NY Verona, NY
Point Place Casino Caesars NY Bridgeport, NY
Yellow Brick Road Caesars NY Syracuse, NY
Tioga Downs FanDuel NY Nichols, NY
Rivers Casino BetRivers NY Schenectady, NY
- Caesars Sportsbook NY is available in NJ and PA.
- BetRivers NY is available in PA, but its sister site SugarHouse Sportsbook is available in all three NY border states.
- DraftKings NY and FanDuel NY are both available in NJ, PA, and CT.
Is Online Gambling Legal In NY?
Yes, online gambling is legal in New York as of January 8, 2022. Here are the NY online gambling laws that bettors need to know:
- Online gambling is legal only at the nine licensed online sportsbooks (only four launched on day one, with the other five to follow shortly thereafter).
- You must be at least 21 years old and physically located within NY state lines (you do not need to be a NY state resident).
- No betting on in-state college teams.
- College player props are also restricted.
You are also expected to pay taxes on net winnings from a sportsbook, although you likely won’t be issued a tax statement from the online gambling site itself unless winnings total more than $600.
How Licensing Works For Legal NY Online Gambling Apps
The NYS Gaming Commission licensed two operators to launch at least four online sports betting apps each. FanDuel and Kambi Group received the two operator licenses. Here are the legal online gambling apps they have launched (or will launch) in New York:
- FanDuel NY License: DraftKings, FanDuel, BetMGM, and Bally Bet
- Kambi Group NY License: Caesars, BetRivers, PointsBet, WynnBET, and Resorts
The revenue from both operators are taxed at a very high 51%, but that won’t affect NY bettors looking for the best odds and promotions. NY online gambling will still be an incredibly competitive market, as it has the biggest population of any state to legalize online gambling so far.
Current Sports Betting Partnerships In New York State
The following casino owners have connections with popular sportsbook options. Here are some notable partnerships across the state.
Oneida Indian Nation – Caesars Sportsbook
The Oneida Indian Nation owns three casinos in New York State:
- Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona
- Yellow Brick Road (YBR) Casino & Sports Book in Chittenango
- Point Place Casino in Bridgeport
Caesars owns the well-known Vegas sportsbook “William Hill,” which it rebranded to Caesars Sportsbook in August 2021. At each casino you can find a Caesars Sportsbook retail location. The Oneida Indian Nation is also listed as a stakeholder for the Kambi Group in New York online sports betting.
Tioga Downs – FanDuel Sportsbook
You can bet on sports in-person at the FanDuel Sportsbook at Tioga Downs in Nichols. You can also play FanDuel DFS online in New York State. Like DraftKings, FanDuel Sportsbook is available in almost all states with legal online sports betting. FanDuel was the primary applicant for one of the two winning groups above, which features partnerships with various operators and professional sports teams.
Rivers Casino Schenectady – Rush Street Gaming (BetRivers)
Rush Street Gaming (which owns BetRivers) operates Rivers Casino Schenectady, where you can bet on sports at the retail Rivers Sportsbook. The BetRivers app is available in a number of states with online sports betting as well. Rush Street Gaming was named among the online licensees in New York, likely paving the way for an eventual online BetRivers launch.
del Lago Casino Resort – DraftKings Sportsbook
DraftKings is available in almost all states with legal online sports betting. It has an existing partnership with del Lago Casino Resort of the Finger Lakes region, and DraftKings Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) is already available online in New York. That combination has helped it become an online sportsbook operator in the state alongside Caesars Sportsbook and FanDuel.
Resorts World Catskills – bet365
Resorts World Catskills partnered with bet365 (among other online betting operators such as IGT) to preemptively lock in market access for when New York State launches online sports betting. But that was in the hopes of the casino-style sports betting market, rather than the eventual state-run model that the state is going with.
Resorts World Catskills is part of the Kambi Group coalition for online sports betting (Resorts World Bet). However, bet365 was left out of the two consortiums and failed to receive an online license. The physical location will likely remain a top destination for sports bettors in the state, As they offer the closest in-state retail sportsbook to New York City.
Akwesasne Mohawk Casino – IGT PlaySports
Akwesasne Mohawk Casino in Hogansburg offers a sportsbook powered by IGT PlaySports. While IGT (International Game Technology) powers a wide range of online betting products, its presence in the US compared to its competing New York State brands is certainly lesser known. The Mohawk Nation of Akwesasne is listed as a stakeholder with the winning Kambi Group coalition.
New York Online Gambling Versus Neighboring States
While legal NY online gambling includes some of the best online sports betting apps in the country, it pales in comparison to its neighbors in New Jersey and Pennsylvania – each have dozens of online gambling platforms, including online casinos and poker sites.
New York will have nine sportsbooks online in 2022, with four launching on the first day of legal online gambling. Connecticut, on the other hand, can have no more than the current three sports betting apps in its state. Connecticut also has two legal online casinos, however, which is better than New York’s zero legal casino sites.
New Yorkers are legally allowed to bet via any Pennsylvania and New Jersey online gambling platform. You just need to be physically within those states’ lines to place real-money wagers. Neither state has residency requirements though, so anyone who can gamble online legally in NY can also do so in PA, NJ, and even Connecticut.
Other Legal Online Gambling Options In New York
You can win money online legally in New York State in other ways outside of online sports betting. Your options include the following:
- Sweepstakes Casinos
- Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS)
- Horse Race Betting
Sweepstakes casinos have the same structure as sweepstakes poker, in that you risk Sweeps Coins in the hopes of winning more. If you win enough, you can exchange them for cash prizes. Sweepstakes casinos, also known as social casinos, offer mostly slots.
Funzpoints is one of the best sweepstakes sites available. Its welcome bonus is 2.5 Sweeps Coins, and it offers both Sweeps exchanges for cash prizes and lottery-style random draw games.
Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS)
Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) involves selecting athletes within a “salary cap” to create a team. Your team earns points based on how those athletes perform in real-life games. If your team does better than other players on the DFS app, you can win a cash prize. To participate, you pay entry fees that start as low as $0.05, or even free (no entry fee required) for some contests.
Some of the top DFS platforms available in New York State include:
- FanDuel DFS: Signup bonus is $5 for verifying an account + 20% deposit-match up to $500
- DraftKings DFS: Signup bonus is $20 for verifying an account + 20% deposit-match up to $500
- Monkey Knife Fight: Signup bonus is $5 for verifying an account + 100% deposit-match up to $100
- PrizePicks: Welcome offer is a 25% first deposit bonus up to $1,000.
Horse Race Betting
It is legal for anyone 18 and older to bet on the horses at legal horse race betting sites in New York State. One of the most popular is New York Racing Association’s NYRA Bets, but other high-quality options include TVG and TwinSpires.
Horse race betting sites also usually have integrated live streaming for every event offered. You can also bet on international horse races, not just those taking place in North America like the Kentucky Derby. TVG, NYRA Bets, and TwinSpires were all taking bets on the 2021 Saudi Cup, for example, which boasts a $20 million purse.
New York’s Online Sports Betting Promotions
Legal online gambling promotions in New York include the following bonus offers:
- Deposit Bonus: A few sportsbooks will match your first deposit by a percentage up to a maximum amount. For example, DraftKings NY Sportsbook offers a $50 free bet on any deposit amount ($5 minimum) and matches the first deposit by 20% up to $1,000 in betting credits.
- No-Deposit Signup Bonus: The rarest online gambling bonus is a no-deposit bonus, meaning no deposit is required.
- Risk-Free Bet: The most common sports betting app welcome offer is the risk-free bet. If you win, you receive your winnings and can cash out immediately. If you lose, you get your wager back in either a free bet of equal value or in betting credits.
- First-Deposit Free Bet: Rather than refunding the first bet, some sportsbooks will simply give you a free bet equal to your first deposit.
All New York sports betting bonuses and promotions will have terms and conditions. Read through them before opting in. Key terms include the following:
- Playthrough/Wagering Requirements: The number of times you have to wager the bonus amount before winnings can be withdrawn. For example, a $100 bonus with 5x wagering requirements means you have to bet a total of $500 before you can withdraw winnings from the bonus money.
- Time Limitations: You usually have to use a free bet or betting credits within a specified amount of time. The timeline can range from seven days to a few months depending on the size and nature of the bonus.
- Minimum Odds: Usually, risk-free bets and free bets can only be used on lines with odds -200 to -150 or longer, but it varies between the sites.
FAQs About Online Betting In New York
Yes, online gambling is legal in New York. Wager online at six licensed NY sportsbooks (DraftKings, Caesars, FanDuel, BetMGM, PointsBet, and BetRivers) as well as the sweepstakes casino Funzpoints to win cash prizes playing slots. Horse race betting and DFS are also legally available in New York.
While real-money online casinos are illegal in New York, bettors can win cash prizes playing casino games at sweepstakes sites like Funzpoints Casino. Get $22.50 free for signing up using this Funzpoints promo code link.
18 or 21. You must be 21 years old to bet online in New York but you can be 18 at some tribal casinos that house sportsbooks, including the retail Caesars Sportsbook Lounge in Turning Stone, Point Place, and Yellow Brick Road.
New York State licensed two online gambling operators, which will launch a total of nine online sportsbooks in NY. Most of the operators are brand name companies, such as DraftKings, Caesars, FanDuel, and BetRivers. Gross sports betting revenue is taxed at 51% and the licenses are good for 10 years.
Deposit methods at New York sports betting apps include debit cards, credit cards, online bank transfers, PayPal, and more. You can cash out using many of the same methods, including PayPal and online bank transfer.